Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Christmas tradition

I thought I'd share a Christmas tradition that my mom and I have. I look forward to it every year. We make "Jewelry Christmas Trees". All year long we hunt for jewelry at garage sales, auctions, sales and we also save those dreaded earrings that you happen to loose its mate, bracelets that loose charms, jewels etc. It can all be used. We also look for new and old picture frames of all different shapes and sizes.


It's really fun to go through the jewelry and play the "oh I remember this" game. Its also very special when you are able to use family members old jewelry. 


We use felt as a background and pipe cleaners to form the shape of the tree. And of course, the ever so handy glue gun to attach the jewelry!


This year I decided to try something different, and I LOVE how it turned out!! I took a page out of one my grandmothers old hymnals. I used it as the backdrop of my "Jewelry Christmas Tree". This hymn was one of her favorite hymns, and I just LOVED the name of it " I Love to Tell The Story".  The neat thing is the jewelry I used in this tree was some of my moms, my 2 grandmas, and some of my husbands grandmas. So that makes it even more special. 


This is a Christmas tradition I look forward to for soo many reasons. I love the "story" each tree tells, and I love the time I get to spend with my mom when we make these! I know I will have them to treasure for years and years!


Here is the tree I made this year. I REALLY think it turned out great!! What do you think??


Happy Holiday Season Everyone!!


4 comments:

  1. That is beautiful!!! Love the background!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I gave you an award on my blog today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a beautiful tree and I love the tradition too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adore these and I'm envious that you and your mother can do this together. My mother hates everybody and we've had a very very stormy relationship to my entire life so that would never happen with us. I don't see the pipe cleaners that you used and how did you arrange the jewelry so good to make straight lines like that?

    ReplyDelete